Updated May 11, 2023
ClickStream is currently providing services in Saigon for SEO.
For companies in Saigon with a physical location, there are very large opportunities to drive organic traffic from search. Google Maps is prominent in Ho Chi Minh City SERPs, but most local companies do not know how to optimize for them. If a website optimizes for Google My Business, they can drive 2-5x more walk-in customers to their business. From Nguyen Hue to Bui Vien to Hai Bà Trưng, if you have a consumer or B2B walk-in location, we can optimize your site to appear in top results on Google My Business, aka Maps.
Our services include:
- Keyword and topic research
- Technical and onsite website audits
- Competitor research
- Content strategy and planning
- PR SEO (outreach to get mentions in high authority blogs and editorial websites).
- Hero content creation
After three years living most of the year in Ho Chi Minh City, I’m now confident in my understanding of the differences with Google’s database between USA and South East Asia. Consider, firstly, that AdWords in the developing Vietnam economy is not an important revenue stream for search engines’ pay per click (PPC). Historically, that means a company like Google spends less money on perfecting their algorithm for organic results.
Google totally and completely turned to direct profitability concerns in the last few years, with little to no regard for nurturing relationships when there is no transactional benefit for them. Rand Fishkin is in the lead in showing that the Mountain View company is pushing VERY hard on their search monopoly with little interest in sending traffic off their website. Google in 2020 scrapes and borrows (steals?) copyrighted content on a large scale.
In Vietnam, SEO’s focus almost entirely on gaming search engines. This is misguided. There are opportunities to write legitimately fantastic content and to link-build with traditional outreach tactics. But the disconnect with “gaming” vs. doing real company work is greater here than any other country I’ve done SEO in.
Ranking Websites in Hot, Emerging Markets: Vietnam Case Study
ClickStream is working with Beauty Review, and their success is a clear demonstration of why playing geeky, nerdy games with Google is not needed to rank high in the Vietnam SERP! A former magazine editor and PR executive run the site.
In less than a year, it gets over 82,000 unique monthly visitors. It’s monetized via affiliate links and lead generation for courses and consulting. However, monetization just began. Some of the hottest potential I see is in lead generation for her site, as well as for clients that are looking to monetize a website pure-play. It’s just too easy to rank for competitive keywords in Vietnam!
Western SEO wisdom, as espoused at conferences I spoke at or attended in SE Asia, held that it’s easy to rank in Vietnam and emerging ASEAN markets, so just push on grey and black hat tactics and you’re off to the races. The idea is that Google can’t reward or punish all other than the largest sites here. The vast majority of websites are breaking their webmaster TOS, knowingly, but in many cases because they don’t even understand the basic TOS.
We set out to do exactly the opposite: high-quality content written primarily by my partner who is a highly successful editor in Vietnam. Link building was done by writing articles or sponsored content— which did sometimes require a small payment, but sponsored content is never labeled in markets in Vietnam and nearby countries. Doing a “guest post” is simply not accepted here. Remember, this country, like many others in SE Asia, has a government that heavily censors publications, and the lack of transparency seeps into the way editorial and advertising intersect.
SEOs in Vietnam don’t try their hand at media relations. I guarantee they couldn’t get links from sites like Giadinh, Dan Tri, and HELLObacsi within the first 5 months of launching a site as Beauty Review did.
Large Vietnamese websites, even in tech, are doing inbound marketing the way it was done 14 years ago in the US. They think social media and paid media are the only game in town (country).
Who’s who: digital marketing agencies in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Updated May 11, 2023
The following offer SEO, PPC, social media, web development, content marketing, and more.
Prodima: A professional digital marketing agency that specializes in SEO, PPC, social media, and web development. They work with partners to improve their online branding visibility and reach their desired clients. They have been featured in New Scientist, Forbes, and The Wall Street Journal.
URALA Communications: A digital marketing agency that combines the power of media, content, design, web development and data to help clients engage their audience meaningfully and turbocharge growth. They have expertise in growth marketing, media, content, creatives, web development, and data. They have worked with clients such as Nikkei, Reuters, Rakuten, KPMG, Kraken, and the Japanese Defence Force. https://urala.com
Digital Launch: A digital marketing agency that offers SEO, PPC, social media, web design, web development, email marketing, and content marketing services. They have a team of mostly Vietnamese speakers who can also communicate in English, French, or Dutch. https://digitallaunch.vn
Back-to-Back: A digital marketing agency that focuses on digital customer acquisition strategy through SEO, SEM and media buying. They have experience in working with arts and entertainment industries. https://backtoback.agency
Some other digital marketing agencies in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam:
Ant-Tech: A digital marketing agency that offers SEO, web design, web development, social media marketing, and content marketing services. They have worked with clients such as Samsung, Honda, Nestle, and Unilever. They have recently won the Best SEO Agency Award 2022 by Sortlist. https://backtoback.agency
Brand Intheblack: A branding and digital marketing agency that helps clients create and grow their brands. They offer services such as brand strategy, brand identity, brand communication, web design, web development, and digital marketing. They have worked with clients such as Vinamilk, Vietjet Air, and Vinfast. They have recently launched a new website for their agency. https://brandintheblack.com
Namtech Solutions: A digital marketing agency specializing in e-commerce solutions. They offer services such as e-commerce strategy, e-commerce development, e-commerce marketing, and e-commerce optimization. They have worked with clients such as Lazada, Shopee, and Tiki. They have recently partnered with Shopify to provide e-commerce solutions for Vietnamese businesses. https://namtechsolutions.com
Back-to-Back: A digital marketing agency that focuses on digital customer acquisition strategy through SEO, SEM and media buying. They have experience in working with arts and entertainment industries. They have recently expanded their team and moved to a new office in District 1.
EloQ Communications: A public relations and integrated marketing communications agency that helps clients communicate effectively with their stakeholders. They offer services such as media relations, crisis management, social media management, influencer marketing, and event management. They have worked with clients such as Viber, Merck, Intel, and Kaspersky. They have recently been named one of the top PR agencies in Vietnam by Clutch. https://eloqasia.com
Some of the trends that happened lately in Ho Chi Minh and Vietnam related to digital marketing are:
- The rise of e-commerce platforms and solutions. Many digital marketing agencies offer e-commerce strategy, development, marketing, and optimization services to help businesses sell online. Some of the popular e-commerce platforms in Vietnam are Lazada, Shopee, Tiki, and Sendo. Some of the digital marketing agencies that specialize in e-commerce solutions are Namtech Solutions, Digital Launch, and Digital Marketing Vietnam.
- The growth of social media marketing and influencer marketing. Social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Zalo, and TikTok are widely used by Vietnamese consumers and businesses. Many digital marketing agencies offer social media management, content creation, advertising, and influencer marketing services to help brands reach and engage their target audiences. Some of the digital marketing agencies that excel in social media marketing and influencer marketing are URALA Communications, Back-to-Back, and EloQ Communications.
- The importance of online reputation management and content marketing. Online reviews, ratings, comments, and feedback can have a significant impact on a brand’s image and trustworthiness. Many digital marketing agencies offer online reputation management services to help brands monitor, improve, and restore their online reputation. Content marketing is also a key strategy to provide valuable information, educate customers, and build authority and credibility. Some of the digital marketing agencies that provide online reputation management and content marketing services are Prodima, Ant-Tech, and Brand Intheblack.
Trends with e-commerce in HCMC
E-commerce websites can be more profitable for small businesses in HCMC if they can generate enough traffic, optimize their conversion rates, and reduce their operating costs. However, there are also some challenges and trade-offs that small businesses need to consider when selling online, such as:
- The competition from big websites like Facebook, Lazada, and Shopee. These platforms have a large customer base, a wide range of products and services, and a strong brand recognition. They also offer various benefits to sellers and buyers, such as free shipping, discounts, reviews, and ratings. Small businesses need to find ways to differentiate themselves from these platforms and offer unique value propositions to their customers.
- The cost of acquiring and retaining customers online. Online marketing can be expensive and time-consuming, especially for small businesses with limited resources and expertise. Small businesses need to invest in effective marketing strategies, such as SEO, PPC, social media, email marketing, and content marketing, to drive traffic to their websites and convert visitors into buyers. They also need to build customer loyalty and retention through quality products, customer service, and after-sales support.
- The profitability of e-commerce sales. E-commerce sales can have lower profit margins than offline sales due to various factors, such as shipping costs, returns and refunds, payment processing fees, taxes, and commissions. Small businesses need to find ways to increase their profit margins by optimizing their pricing strategies, increasing their average order value, reducing their cost of goods sold, and managing their inventory efficiently.
According to a report by Bloomberg, Vietnam’s digital economy is forecast to grow to $52 billion by 2025, luring e-commerce giants like Alibaba and Amazon. However, the report also notes that e-commerce accounted for just 3% of the nation’s retail market in 2020, the smallest amount among Southeast Asia’s major economies. This suggests that there is still a lot of room for growth and opportunity for small businesses in HCMC and Vietnam.
According to a report by McKinsey, Vietnam’s urban population is projected to surge by 10 million over the next decade as the share of the country’s urban population rises from 37% in 2020 to 44% by 2030. The report also states that cities are likely to be Vietnam’s engine of growth, contributing roughly 90% of all consumption growth over the next decade. However, the report also highlights that over the next decade, sources of urban consumption are likely to spread to smaller cities, including Can Tho, Da Nang, and Hai Phong, where the middle classes are set to grow.
Therefore, e-commerce websites can be more profitable for small businesses in HCMC if they can overcome the challenges and leverage the opportunities that online selling offers. However, they also need to be aware of the changing consumer preferences and behaviors in different cities and regions of Vietnam.
Search Engine Optimization Job opening in Vietnam, with ClickStream
We are looking for a Content Marketing Specialist. Do you want to work with industry leaders, not just those at agencies that can sell services but have little experience with big dog content marketing strategies? You want to become an expert with “AI Writing” software which will radically change the writing world for websites in the next few years? You want to be a pro with the Mercedes Benz of outreach software, PitchBox? Advanced keyword research; yes please?
If you have highly fluent English or are a native English speaker (for example lived in a native English speaking country 2+ year) and can meet the below requirements, we want to hear from you! This position is heavy on English article writing and communication skills. You must be very confident in your English writing.
We encourage those who want to work remotely to apply.
- Work and train directly with Founder, Eric Van Buskirk, who oversaw nine of the largest SEO and content marketing data studies of 2016 and 2017 (for Neil Patel). He was also the Project Director for one of the 3 largest rank-studies ever conducted (“1 million search results,” done for Brian Dean).
- Paid training.
- 20 hours per week which can lead to full-time.
- Work with 360 degrees of content marketing and SEO needed for client sites (this is all about earned media and websites. We don’t do paid media or social media marketing).
- Super smart, enthusiastic co-workers. We only hire people that contribute to a pleasant work environment.
- Based on 20 hours per week, part-time.
- 10,000,000 – 30,000,000 VND per month if non-native English (or the equivalent in USD).
- 15,000,000- 75,000,000 if native English (or the equivalent in USD).
- Paid time off
What You’ll Learn
- The most advanced and sophisticated content marketing tools: ahrefs, Jarvis/Jasper, SEMrush, PitchBox, MarketMuse.
- Link building via guest post outreach, as well as 10X or Hero Content or Skyscraper outreach— If you’ve done media relations PR you have super existing skills for this.
- keyword research techniques.
- 1+ Years of digital marketing, earned media, media relations, or SEO.
- Minimum of intermediate skills with MS Excel and Word.
- Strong writing skills
Not required, but useful:
- WordPress or Shopify CMS experience
- Your experience monetizing websites with affiliate marketing is a +1 for you.
- Experience in a client-facing role? +1.
- All “earned media” (organic) digital marketing experience, especially with an agency, +1 for you.
- Google Analytics certified +1 for you.
ClickStream is an SEO agency based in USA and run in HCMC by Eric Van Buskirk, its founder. Van Buskirk and ClickStream oversaw nine of the largest SEO and content marketing data studies of 2016 and 2017. The research was for client Neil Patel (NeilPatel.com). The main focus for the studies was keywords, semantic SEO, and how links affect search engine ranking.
Van Buskirk was also Project Director for the “1 Million Google Search Results” rank study for Brian Dean of Backlinko. It was the number one up-voted piece of Q1 2016 on inbound.org and GrowthHackers.com. Current clients are in USA and Europe. Prior to that, he oversaw major accounts for SEMrush, a top 2 research tool for SEOs.
PLEASE EMAIL RESUME WITH COVER LETTER TO:
Vanbuskirk clickstream.cc or use the contact form